Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!!

Praise the LORD, all nations! Extol him, all peoples!
For great is his steadfast love toward us, and the faithfulness of the LORD endures forever. Praise the LORD!

Psalm 117 (ESV)

It's hard to believe that a year has gone by since I made my grand entrance into the world. I was a bit ahead of schedule (15 weeks, ya think!), but I guess that's the way God wanted it. After spending 105 days in the NICU @ Brookwood Medical Center (BMC) I finally got to go home. The days in the NICU seemed so long whereas my days @ home are fleeting. I guess time does fly when you're having fun. A lot has changed since 6/3/2008.

I now weigh over 16 pounds compared to 6 pounds when I was discharged from BMC. I've graduated from straight all natural milk to a milk and formula mix. I started eating solid or somewhat solid food a few months back. My Mommy makes my food, which is cool. I eat a lot of pears, sweet potatoes, carrots, green beans/peas, broccoli, and apple sauce. BTW I love me some apple sauce. I can't remember how long I am. All I know is I'm tall enough to get into places I don't need to be. Well, that' what my folks tell me all the time, "Jonathan, you don't need to be in there."

The first winter can be tough on preemies, but God has been gracious and I've only had a couple of colds. Ironically, I got both colds from visiting the doctor to get a shot that "prevents" preemies from getting colds, go figure. Anyway, after the second cold my folks called some people about me getting those shots at home. Now, I have a nurse, a nice lady named Kim, who comes by once a month to administer the shots. I haven't had more than the occasional sniffle since.

My days are pretty much full of me playing, sleeping, eating, and filling diapers. I guess you could say I'm a happy baby. I mean, I don't sit around laughing my head off (Daddy tickling me doesn't count), but I do enjoy myself. I have some really cool toys and books. My best toy is a little red mirror. It makes me mad sometimes when it doesn't do what I want it to, but I always return to it. My favorite book is also red (I guess my favorite color is red.) and it's entitled All Gone. Incidentally, it's a little odd that I like this book so much because it has such a sad ending. In the end all the cereal, cookies, ice cream, and juice are all gone. Life must be full of contradictions.

About the only time I have a meltdown is when I'm really hungry, really tired or sick. Well, I'm not very fond of the twice a day breathing treatments. A lot of preemies take these treatments in the winter to help them avoid getting sick and/or breathing problems. My folks try to make them easier by singing to me, but they're still a drag.

We'll, that pretty much catches you up on me. It's been a full year and it has flown by incredibly fast. God has been faithful and I know he will continue to be. He's brought me through so much in my first year that I'd have to be crazy to start doubting him now.

I'll post again real soon, probably early next week, but for now...
JSR out.

Below are some video clips from the past few months, enjoy!

No comments: